Saturday, May 19, 2007

Birds of a Feather

Here is a cute little birdhouse that I made. I love the new trend of birds, nests and eggs. I've been seeing a lot of them the past year or so. I've even seen them at Anthropology. There is something so comforting about them. I'm seeing lots of aprons as well. I think everyone is especially needing comfort and security right now with the state of the world, etc... These things really represent a feeling of home and security to me.
I found this little birdhouse at the Dollar Tree. It was painted an ugly orange color and had some weird flower painted in it. Believe me it wasn't cool. So I painted the entire thing burnt umber. When that was dry, I painted crackle medium all over. I let that dry for about 30 minutes and then painted on a coat of Italian sage. As it dried it began to crackle. I took a wet sponge and rubbed off some of the sage paint in other areas to make it look aged and weathered.
I decoupaged pictures of seed packets, birds, nests and flowers on to the house. I had a painted and rusted small Altoids tin that I had made so I broke off the lid and decoupaged a picture of a bird inside of it. I glued it over the hole of the birdhouse. I glued moss, tiny eggs from the craft store, seeds and feathers around the front and sides. I glued a small scrabble letter "B" in the corner of the tin. If I were a bird I would love to live in this little house, except how will I get in? My door is glued shut, lol!

No comments: